Tuesday 31st January 2017by hahall
I can’t believe it is the end of January and we are almost half way done with the school year. There are quite a few reminders for this week:
- Continue to work on high frequency words weekly. Please make sure your child can read all of these words. Students are also encouraged to correctly spell each of these words. Students have their own personal word wall and the class word wall where these words can be found. If students can read these words they will be able to find them on word walls and spell them correctly.
- Report Cards will be sent home next week. The Report Card should be signed and returned to verify that you have reviewed your child’s progress. Please contact me if you would like to schedule a conference.
- Thank you to all of the families that have donated snack. Please donate a healthy snack for the month of February.
- We assessed the students using the initial Words their Way assessment and have regrouped the students accordingly. Please watch for your child’s new list on Monday of next week.
- There is no school for students on Friday, it is a furlough day for teachers.
- Next week we will have music! We will continue to have PE on Mondays and Wednesdays. Please make sure your child wears/brings gym shoes on those days.
- Raise a Glass for Ray is this Thursday from 6-8pm. Tickets are $35. Please find information on the Ray School website.
- Please return the family timeline pictures. We will use them on Wednesday to put the project together.
This week we will read Ada Twist Scientist. We will do several comprehension activities as a group and independently to deepen our comprehension. Students will discuss problem and solution and imagine the story told from various characters’ perspectives. In math we will continue working with relation symbols including greater than, less than and equal to. We will also start learning about double-digit addition. Please refrain from teaching your child “to carry the one.” It is important to establish an understanding of place value using modeling before children are taught this procedure. In science we will investigate sound further, discussing mediums for sound travel, pitch, volume and amplification. We will conclude our How-To writing unit with a combined celebration with Ms. Woodbury’s 1st graders.
Have a great week.
Sight Words: way, could, people, my, than
Vocabulary: frazzled, spree, havoc, dazed, curious
|READING||Read to your child 20 min. or more||Read to your child 20 min. or more||Read to your child 20 min. or more||Read to your child 20 min. or more||Read to your child 20 min. or more|
|MATH||Home Link 5.7||Home Link 5.9||Home Link 5.10||Home Link 5.11|